Marion Grasby first came to notice on Master Chef, and between Marion and her Mum they have put together recipes that a simple and affordable.
In this sweet and sour chicken recipe, there is one unique approach to it; there are no pineapple pieces.
The only difficulty is getting the frying part under control if you have never done it before
Sweet and sour chicken
A delightful Sweet and Sour ChickenCourse: Food, Recipes, MainCuisine: AsianDifficulty: Medium
With the simplicity of cooking an Asian great, this recipe challenges the tradition as it doesn’t use pineapple pieces.
500g (1 lb) chicken thigh fillets, cut into roughly 3cm cubes
1 Tbsp light soy sauce
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
½ tsp ground white pepper
½ cup plain flour
vegetable oil for shallow frying, plus 1 tbsp
1 onion, cut into wedges
1 tomato, cut into wedges
3 spring onions (scallions), trimmed, green and white parts cut into 3cm batons
- SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
½ cup brown sugar
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp light soy sauce
3 tbsp white vinegar
1/3 cup pineapple juice
¼ tsp Chinese five spice
2 tsp cornflour
- For the sweet & sour sauce, place brown sugar, tomato ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar, pineapple juice and Chinese five spice in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer for a few minutes until sugar dissolves. In a small bowl, combine cornflour with 2 tablespoons of water. Add the cornflour mixture to the sauce and simmer for a further 2 minutes to thicken. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl toss chicken with soy sauce, garlic and pepper until well combined.
- Place flour in a large bowl. Add the chicken and toss until each piece is lightly coated with flour.
- Pour about a 3 cm depth of oil into a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. When the oil is hot (a piece of chicken should start sizzling immediately when placed into the oil) cook chicken in batches for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on a paper towel.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a clean frying pan or wok. Add the onion and stir-fry until just starting to turn golden. Add the tomato and stir-fry for another 30 seconds. Add the chicken and the sweet and sour sauce and stir-fry until well combined. Toss through the spring onions. Remove from heat and serve.